Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mommy and Daddy are slack!

I know, I know, it's been a couple of weeks since my last post.  Here's what's been going on the past two weeks:

First, Joe and I both feel like the holidays definitely flew by this year!  Although we got our Christmas tree and decorations up early this year as compared to when we usually do, it didn't really feel like a real Christmas and we weren't able to savor the holidays.  We're guessing it's because we were so overwhelmed with Ryan's arrival and the newness of having a child and adjusting to parenthood.  Next year, things will definitely be different :)

Ryan lost his umbilical cord stump on Wednesday, December 28th.  I was changing his diaper in the wee hours of the morning and his stump was just hanging out on his chest.  I kind of freaked out because I was worried that he had somehow pulled it off himself, but the doctor told us at Ryan's 3 week appointment that apparently, that's not possible.  HE'S ALREADY GROWING UP SO QUICKLY!  He's also beginning to lose his birth hair and has a nice receding hairline. 

Ryan had his 3 week doctor's appointment on Thursday, December 29th.  He was already up a pound since his birth weight and had grown an inch.  He was 30th percentile in both weight and length but 60th percentile in head circumference.  He's going to be a lollipop for awhile :)

We gave Ryan his first "real" bath on Monday, January 2nd.  The doctor had told us to wait a couple of days to make sure his belly button has really healed up.  We took some really cute pictures of his bath, which he REALLY enjoyed (seriously! I promise!), but I'm still waiting for Joe to upload some pictures from the camera.  See, I'm not the only slack one!

And now...we've transitioned Ryan to cloth diapers.  Yes, we are those people.  So far, so good though!  It's more work than disposables, I'm not going to pretend like it's not.  After being in disposable diapers for 3 weeks or so, I definitely see the full appeal of disposable diapers.  But since switching to cloth diapers, Ryan hasn't had nearly as much diaper rash/ or red butt or anything like that.  So, I suppose it's worth it :) 

Ryan turned ONE MONTH OLD on Sunday, January 8th.  For his birthday, we gave him a bath to celebrate.  We even did some kangaroo time afterwards.  He decided to celebrate by pooping allllllll over me and his clean towel.  So, we continued the celebration by going in for a round two bath.

He's beginning to make lots of eye contact and will hold your gaze for a couple of seconds.  He can already turn his head from side to side and can hold it up pretty well on his own.  We have tried to get into the routine of giving him tummy time at night before bed (in hopes to wear him out a little more), but he HATES it!  He'll cry and wail and wimper and fuss throughout the entire tummy time, but it's working!  He seems to have pretty good head and neck control already!

Ryan is beginning to get into a sleeping routine (I think?  I hope?).  For the past few nights, he'll sleep for about 3-4 hours for the first session, and then wake up in about 2 hours increments after that to feed.  I know that might not sound like a lot, but this, my friends, is progress.  

I'll upload pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment