Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Summer 2014 - Labor Day weekend

August 30th - September 1st
Labor Day weekend is rarely something I look forward to.  Sure, I love an extra day off of work (really, I shouldn't complain because I just had two months off), but it signals the unofficial end of summer.  And if you know me, you know I love summer.  I love everything about summer - even the mosquitos, the endless sweating, and unbearable humidity - because even though there are things that suck about summer, the positives far outweigh the negatives.  And I'll take sweating profusely and covered in mosquitos bites if it means pool days, awesome evenings, lightning bugs, watermelon, cookouts, and the feeling of freedom!  There is something so magical about summer and this past summer was a true treat for me.  I couldn't have asked for a better summer or a better buddy to spend my days with :)

So, knowing that this weekend was the unofficial end of summer and this usually makes me sad, we tried to make the most of it and do lots of fun things.  I had big plans of going down to Topsail on Friday to see the postponed July 4th fireworks (Hurricane Arthur cancelled the fireworks so they rescheduled them for the Friday before Labor Day) and eating seafood, but when Joe and I hit traffic on I-40 before Garner, we realized that there would be likely that we might miss the fireworks altogether, even if we kept on going.  SO, to make up for the cancelled plans of watching fireworks and eating seafood, we went into downtown Raleigh and ate at Battistella's.  At least I got my shrimp po'boy fix! We went out for ice cream afterwards, because hey, why not.

On Saturday, Ryan and I spent some of the day at the swimming pool and spending time with Daddy, since he was going to go on a "work trip" next week.

My sweet silly boy!

Good thing Ryan is about to eat a snack - he sure looks grumpy!

Much better!

Me and my summer playmate :)

I'm going to treasure these pictures!  Nothing special, but so meaningful!



Sunday was a pretty big day.  Joe left in the morning, and aftewards, Ryan and I went for a run.  We spent some more time at the pool, and then went over to Oma and Opa's house for Sunday night dinner.  Oma put up a new swing in the backyard, so of course Ryan thoroughly enjoyed himself!

The three musketeers

Such a big boy!

Enjoying the swing!

"Can you push me as high as the clouds, Opa?"


After Oma and Opa's house, we went to Titi and Uncle Nick's house for another cookout, and Ryan enjoyed playing with Levi and Julien some more.
Enjoying Dinner #2


We woke up on Monday morning, ate some breakfast, and took a nice run.  It was going to be a pretty hot day, so Ryan and I ran some errands and then took our final trip of the summer to the pool.  I love our pool.  I am SO GLAD that we joined it this year, and I can't wait to join it for many summers to come!  They were having a cookout/end-of-summer celebration, so we took full advantage of that, as well.  Ryan and I spent most of the time in the big pool and on the playground.  I seriously am going to miss going to the pool and it makes me sad to know I'll have to wait until May, 2015 for the pool to open for the 2015 season.

He loves the pool!

Cookout + pool time = Summer and a happy boy!

Being silly

My watermelon monster

Swimming in the little pool


After going to the pool, we came home and Ryan took a nap.  We had lots of company that night for dinner and had a mini "Grill Off".  Such a shame that Joe had to miss it!  Ryan got lots of playtime in with some of his friends, too.
Two silly kids!

Eating a special treat!  Brownies and strawberries!

Overall, it was a great weekend, even if it means shorter days, longer nights, and cooler weather are coming our way.  Hopefully this fall will bring about some awesome moments and create some wonderful memories for us like this summer has!

No comments:

Post a Comment